Hi Joan....

Thanks for sharing the information 'bout your search for an assisted living
home/facility with us.  I gained some insight into my own probable future
needs from reading of your experiences.

I don't know how old ya are, but in looking into the type of "assisted living"
set-up you've so luckily ended up in finding and living in, I've sure had
difficulties in finding that type of place in the Los Angeles area.   I'm 55
and don't want to end up living with people who are 112 years old and older
<rueful smile> I guess I'm thinking more of a small "group HOME," rather than
a "facility." (or maybe I just don't KNOW what I'm looking for yet?) <'nother
sigh> (but I'll know it when I SEE it!) <grin>

NOW - that said, I've really just begun looking for an assisted living
facility for my 80 year old mother, and've had my own possible future needs
tucked away in the back of my mind while looking for a residence for mom.

Mom has a coupla severe physical ailments PLUS dementia so our needs differ
radically at this time, and I keep that in mind when I check out a facility.
Still, it seems to me that there really are so few places - if any - for
persons in MY circumstances (moderately active,
fairly-klutzy-bumps-into-things-but-doesn't-fall (yet).

I'd say the difference between what I'm searching for for mom is a
"constant-assisted-living" facility with on-site medical assistance (knowing
mom's "declining" faster than I am as well as degenerating)  for mom, and an
"assisted-IF-needed-and/or-wanted" type place - more a HOME than an
institution - for myself.

Mom's ready for this type of residence YESTERDAY. <deep sigh>  I can get along
just fine right now with a cleaning crew a coupla times a month and some
carpet shampooing a few times yearly, and lotsa home-delivery-pizza type meals
of dining out.  But the future looms big in my mind and THAT kinda has me
stumped right now.

With Medicare I can get full-time live-in nursing easier than I can get
OCCASIONAL, or part-time "living assistance," which is what I'd classify
the type of help many of us who aren't living in a family-type situation
might need, initially, at least.

I'm in a "twixt 'n between" stage of life - neither very young nor very old,
and neither terribly sick nor terribly well... a somewhat confusing
transitional point in life's journey... but interesting none the less.

Barb Mallut