Dear Listies,

Wonder of wonders, we have an appointment for my Dad at the Emory Clinic
already, IN TWO DAYS!  Thanks to the info received from Lanier Maddux, I
called Nancy Watts at the referral center and left a message, which she
returned this afternoon.  After some discussion, and a warning that it
could be at least 3 months until an appointment was available, she put me
through to the appointments desk.  They must have had an opening.  They set
Dad up with Dr. Thomas Wichmann on Jan. 15th.  I was floored!  I said,
"THIS January?"

I will drive him there and hope to be able to sit in on at least some of
the discussions with the doctor.  On to my questions:

1.  What should we expect on this first visit?
2.  What questions should I be prepared to ask?
3.  Does anyone know or have experience with Dr. Thomas Wichmann?

As a review, my Dad was tentatively diagnosed with PD last summer after
nearly a year of tests for heart and gut (those horrible upper/lower GI
thingies).  He had been losing strength rapidly.  Up to Nov. 1996, he was a
fanatical rower until one day he could not lift himself out of the shell
onto the dock.  Blood tests showed he had some anemia, otherwise he was
strong of heart and there was no cancer anywhere.  My Mom's stroke and
subsequent death in Spring '97 didn't help matters.  We had trouble
distinguishing between health problems and stress/shock reactions.

Anyway, the GP put him on levadopa in July, but it had no real effect.
Then that doctor died.  He found another GP (was on an HMO at the time and
had little choice in doctors) who immediately sent him to a neuro.  He did
an MRI, looked at the results and said "You have a form of PD.  It will
only get worse" and sent him home with no treatment!

He does not have tremors, but has lost nearly all use of his right arm and
hand (he's right-handed) and is beginning to lose some strength on the
left.  He is stooped, he shuffles and seems uncertain about walking.  Some
here have suggested that this may be "atypical Parkinson's" and that there
is not much to be done.  However, we want to see what the great team at
Emory can do before we give up.  He is not on any medications right now, so
he is a clean slate for the doctor's to work on.

I have been mostly lurking here, but actively.  I've learned SO MUCH about
all sorts of treatments, from meds, to surgery to alternative things like
massage, exercise and herbal.  Now I am hoping that your support will help
us wend our way through the medical organizations.

What suggestions do you have for us?

Jane Koenig ([log in to unmask])
Marietta, GA
(sort of) cg to Fred 79/6 mos.