Dennis 'n Kathrynne....

<Wildly waving primary left hand in air> Hey, youse guys, here's someone who's
spent her entire life, who when asked to raise her right hand automatically
raises her LEFT hand (then blushes, giggles, says "Ooops"
and raises the correct hand) <grin>.  I also automatically point to the left
while SAYING "turn right." <blush>  In defense, I'm VERY, VERY left-handed and
having had PD only on my right side for 20 of the 22 years I've had the
disease MUST have reinforced my left-hand dominance.

I've been regularly and comfortably using my right hand/arm since my 10/24/94
unilateral pallidotomy but am still very much a instinctively a
"lefty."

One thing I've noticed within the past year is that I've been "losing" my car
when parked in a large "mall-type" parking lot.  I used to have an outstanding
sense of direction - almost like having an "inner magnet."  But that "inner
magnet" has apparently dramatically declined.

At first I'd end up standing alone in a parking lot with a puzzled look on my
face, pissed as all get out at myself, the PD, natural effects of aging, and
my car (I was sure the darn thing had MOVED) <giggle>.  After having this
experience a few times and realizing how MUCH I didn't like finding myself in
this situation, I made a plan in my mind on how to prevent the
"car-lost-in-big-parking-lot syndrome."

Now I as I park the car I FORCE myself to mentally take note of the
relationship of my little red car (not always visible even when I DO recall
where it's parked)  to any nearby buildings or other unique stationery
reminder.   Trees all look alike in a parking lot and I learned the HARD way
NOT to use nearby cars as pointers 'cause HEY, people HAVE been known to get
into their cars and drive off, not knowing how important it was to ME that
they REMAIN parked next to me so I could find my own car! <LOL>

I used to take it for granted I'd always be able to unerringly walk straight
to my car no matter HOW large the parking lot.  Nowadays I congratulate myself
and make it a POINT to give myself an "Attaboy," to reinforce the positive
experience of locating my car in a parking lot.

It HAS become easier once again to find my car in large parking lots because
I'm NOW using my MIND to locate it, rather than my instincts.  And it feels
GOOD to use my mind.

Barb Mallut