From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Dennis Greene
Sent:   Tuesday, January 13, 1998 8:31 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        knowing left from right

Kathrynne,

Hi; how're you doing, long time no see.

You wrote, in regard to telling left from right:

> Dennis,I don't know what causes it, either, but it's the same for
me.
> Only I've been that way all my life.

and later:

> You're the first other person I've ever heard of who's mentioned
having
> this problem. I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one.

Kathrynne I am happy to be able to report that there are at least
three of us. A friend of mine of 30 years standing has always had
difficulty with left and right.  He happily admits that to this day
(and like me he is pushing 50) if someone says left he thinks
"watch", if the instuction is right he thinks "no watch", then he
actually looks at his arms to check which has the watch. I suspect
that the number of people who have always had trouble with L and R is
higher than just the two of you.

I also wonder whether my losing my automatic response to L and R is
in any way the result of PD or possibly my pallidotomy.  I am one of
those lucky people who was born with a built in sense of direction
and that seems, at the moment, to still be working well. Its the
words that have gone walkabout. I also have this recent tendancy to
write or say west even if I mean east (I have not as yet substituted
east for west).  So far north and south are securely nailed down.

Petty as all this seems, it occurs to me that these could be early
signs of cognative disfunction, and I intend to discuss the
possibility with my neuroligist at our february meeting.  Hopefully
all I am looking at is normal absent mindedness.  Either way, I'm not
a good source of directions unless whereever you're going is to the
north or south.  or directly in front of or behind me.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/