Good that you got an appt. so fast!

SNIPPED
>1.  What should we expect on this first visit?

I think first visits tend to be long--maybe an hour--with some tests and
evaluation. Achance for mutual sizing up of patient and doc-- a good chance
to see how well the doc listens, how he answers questions, etc. Also, his
attitude toward family CGs, and you, if you are the one accompanying your
dad.

>2.  What questions should I be prepared to ask?

Take your notebook with questions written down, and write down the answers!
You'll want to know how certain the diagnosis is--are there unsure areas?
If levadopa doesn't help him, and he has "a form of PD", try to get them to
be more specific...there are some 7 or 8
"forms" of Parkinson Plus symdromes, and these do not respond well to PD
meds, unfortunately. ASK...
Be clear about the med schedule recommended, when they are to be taken,
what modifications you can make  on your own, or must he stick strictly to
the schedule,at least at first?  What are anticipated side effects, and how
bad can they get before you call him for help?  What are the "rules" for
calling, between appts. if necessary? What number? (Sometimes a nurse
takes/relays messages and call back.)  "It will only get worse" isn't
helpful--try to get a more specific prognosis if you can, even though it
may not be pleasant. You need to be as prepared as possible for the future.
Ask about related problems  like depression, loss of appetite, sleep
problems, anything you think is pertinent.
Hope it goes as well as possible--let us know!

    Camilla Flintermann .. [log in to unmask]
    CG for Peter, 79/8     ( co-owner of CARE list)

    * "IF THE ONLY TOOL YOU HAVE IS A HAMMER,*
    *     EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE A NAIL"      *
    *         ---Abraham Maslow              *