Thanks to Barbara Patterson for the welcome and posting info
     I am a high school English teacher in Lancaster, PA trying to care for
a mother, Irma 73/5 years.   She is still in her own place but need for
care is increasing as her magnetic feet and rigidity and shakes become
more of a problem.  The progression has been slow in previous years,
but now I see it somehow speeding up.  What a wretched thing to watch
and experience!  I was previously on a list for caregivers only, but like
the fact that your list includes people who are experiencing these
problems...and finding ways to cope.
      Irma is frightened and I am trying to keep her informed without adding
to the fear.  Our only support group in this area occurs in mid afternoon
at quite a distance and I cannot get her there.  Irma couldn't take
Eldepryl..weird psychological effects...and has been only on Sinemet
and Amantadine...the doctor wants to start Mirapex in April...was
wondering about peoples' experience with this.
      Also, our neurologists in Lancaster don't get at all involved in any
aspects of care or quality of life...they only deal with medications...we
have no medical facility with any advice about technological helps or
future nursing care needs.
       I would like to...and will print out some positive, support type
statements from anyone with Parkinson's for my mother to read.  She is
an old-fashioned lady who does not understand computers and does not
care to, but she is feeling isolated in her coping with the disease.
          Thanks for your concern....
                                   Kathy Novosel ([log in to unmask])