>List, I have approached Parkinson's disease in a different
manner, than
>most physicians. What I have looked at is breaking
Parkinson's disease
>down into smaller parts. He had symptoms that may or may
not be related
>to the disease, but I took each one apart separately and
began,
>hopefully the best treatment. Blood, hair, and urine was
used to
>identify any deficiencies and these were treated
accordingly with
>back up testing.

Hi Linda,

In our research group, we took the approach that there were
PD symptoms, PD-related side effects, and PD
medication-related side effects.

The PD gross symptoms of PD are akinesia ("freezing"),
bradykinesia (slowness of movement), and dyskinesia
(inappropriate involuntary movement, including chorea -
dance like movements - , trembling, "restless legs", etc.)

But PD also affects the central nervous system, and can
cause digestive upsets, constipation, inappropriate sweating
or shivering, circulatory problems, etc.  These may be said
to be PD-related side-effects.

Medications can cause hypotension (low blood pressure),
anxiety, depression, dry mouth, giddiness, sleeplessness,
etc. <Phew>

Of course, not everyone gets all of the side effects (just
as well, eh?)

There are two things PWPs and carers must look out for:
1. Ignoring a symptom of a non-PD disorder as being "just
another PD side-effect", when it may indicate some problem
requiring further medical attention, and
2. Treating a PD-related side-effect in isolation from PD,
without any correlation of medications, as though
it were an unrelated, separate disorder.

Both can be dangerous.  PWPs, primary carer, and all
health-care givers should be aware of the PWPs individual
needs, manifest symptoms, medications, and side-effects.

Jim 59/13