Hello Everyone,
As I had mentioned before, my father had been started on a trial of one of
the newer PD meds, unfortunately without much success. Our feeling was, as
with so many other treatments he's had over the years, "he just didn't give
it enough time." Claimed it made him worse. Perhaps it did; who are we to
argue with someone who obviously knows better than anyone else how he's
feeling? In any case... I understand that in the last year there have been
*4* (four) new drugs that have come online -- I've been seeing a lot of
discussion here about Mirapex and Requip; are these 2 of these new meds? I
can't recall what it was my dad was started on -- I think it was in early
Spring 97, and at least 2 of these new meds had not come on the market yet
-- But I don't think it would've been Requip, which to my understanding is
for patients with early symptoms. My father's condition is quite advanced.
I'm afraid it seems the only medication he's *ever* realized any significant
benefit from is his Sinemet. As it is now, he wants to be taking it almost
habitually -- almost like an addiction. Because it *does* help him feel
better, for about 90 minutes at a streach. (After a 45-minute lag time, of
course!) Thus, I'm afraid his quality of life is just miserable; it's like
he's living for his next dose of Sinemet!

It would be just wonderful if a medication were now available which could
supplement and enhance the benefit he recieves from his Sinemet! Is this
wishful thinking? Is there one of these "new drugs" available that will do
that -- without all sorts of miserable side effects? I should note, I am
more than 300 miles away, so any info I pick up here I have to pass along to
him and my mom... It would be neat if I could print them up a run-down of
the newer medications available, and provide that for them to review at
their convienence. If anyone could lay a concise, clear listing of these
meds and their actions/indications/ potential side effects on me, it would
be *most* appreciated!!!

Thanx! Stay Healthy!

Roger