Welcome to tke Internet and the Parkinson group.  I am a little older than
your dad but unfortunately I was diagnosed with PD  about eight years ago when
I was a lad of only  about  65.  In fact I have my symptoms are very similar
to those of  your dad in that  have never had any tremor.  My major symtom  at
first was the loss of  foot speed  in playing tennis.  But I cotinued to play
for a couple of years until I began falling  when going back for  overhead
shots.  I continued playing golf  until this last season when I had to admit
that It was no longer any fun.

As regards your question re: Sinemet, from everthing  I have learned , is the
drug of choice of most of the Neurologists that I have run into over the
years. The key
factor is the dossage being prescribed and what agonist is prescribed to
assist in the
the functioning of the Sinemet. My doctor Fink who is at the  Massachusetts
General PD Center for movement control disorders in 1993  was  prescribing  a
drug called Eldepreyl and an Agonist called Parlodel at that time I believe I
was taking 25/100 Sinemet consisting of 2 tablets three times a day  at
approximately at  8am ,noon and 4 pm. With each of the Sinemet doses I was
taking 1 Parlodel tablet of 5mg. My recollection  was that the these worked
quite well for my case. In 1996 my doctor
began to prescribe a new Agonist Permax  which he introduced by gradually
increasing the amount of the Permax while decreasing the amount of Parlodel.