Hi Linda,

>Envir.M.D.but I can assure you that it was natural
medicine. We were
>instructed that this would in no way be comprised by the
use of
>antioxidants, mineral or amino acids, etc. (not into
herbs<smile>)

That raises another point.  Analysis of post-mortem PD
brains shows an excess of non-absorbable iron, and a
depletion of the substance that cconverts this iron to a
form usable by the body, in comparison to non-PD controls.
I don't know which is cause or effect, nor how this is
related
to PD, but it may be wise to watch the iron intake, also the
types chellating agents in vitamin/mineral supplements.

>  I believe that their are many causes to Parkinson's
disease

That appears to be the case; many causes with one effect, to
knock out the dopamine-producing cells.

>  We directed most of his treatments towards
detoxification, however,
>since we know that any illness can cause stress on the
host, not

There is a very strong link between stress-produced
brain-affecting chemicals and both "freezing" (akinesia) and
spasmodic movement (dyskinesia).

>  I believe that what many patients fail to realize is a
doctor is
>not always going to suggest that tests be run. But that is
no reason
>why the patient cannot request these tests.

Many older patients are still living with the impression,
created in their younger years, that "doctor knows best",
and that it is somehow impudent to suggest otherwise.  I am
grateful for what my present doctors do to keep me alive and
functioning (and believe you me, if I wasn't taking my PD
meds, I would have been dead years ago - so much for "PD is
not life-threatening).  But there are so many
disorders,medications, side-effects, etc., that a doctor
would have to have an Einstein-sized brain just to keep up.
However, I would much prefer a doctor who said "I don't know
the answer, let's see if we can find out", than one who
claimed to know everything.

>even cold medicines. However, most drug stores give you a
list
>of known adverse reactions, but if I was to begin to worry
about

As far as they are aware of them.  I have seen labels on
Sinemet saying to take them with meals, and I even saw an
advisory note to GPs recommending the same thing.  But, as
Kathryn(sp?) Holden and others have pointed out, taking
Sinemet with animal protein can lead to a lessened intake of
l-dopa, or even an absence.

We all, sufferers, primary carers, health professionals, and
members of the general public, need to be better educated
about health disorders, their effects, and treatments, not
only with PD, but with other chronic illnesses.  Perhaps
then we might be healthier, wealthier, and more tolerant.
<silent prayer>

Jim 59/13