Hi! Jim, Since we are on the topic of IRON, lets take a look at
what can happen when the liver has been damaged. It may seem like
it has nothing to do with Parkinson's, but bear with me and look
for my comments below.

 My comments begin with ***

J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1997 Oct;12(9-10):S272-S282
Pathogenesis of alcoholic liver disease with particular emphasis on
oxidative stress. Ishii H, Kurose I, Kato S

1)Oxidative stress is well recognized to be a key step in the
pathogenesis of ethanol-associated liver injury.

***Oxidative stress was noted by

Floor E,Wetzel MG J Neurochem 1998 Jan;70(1):268-275Increased protein
oxidation in human substantia nigra pars compacta in comparison with
basal ganglia and prefrontal cortex measured with an improved
dinitrophenylhydrazine assay.

***where he says...

2)These degenerative processes are hypothesized to involve oxidative
stress.

*** One would already begin to expect that the liver is fundamental in
***the development of Parkinson's. Since this oxidative stress is
***found both in ethanol associated liver injury and Parkinson's
***disease.
***But lets go on.... there is more to come. <smile>

 Ethanol administration induces an increase in lipid peroxidation either
by enhancing the production of oxygen reactive species and/or by
decreasing the level of endogenous antioxidants.

***Sound a little familiar? However, there could also be many reasons
***for this,aging alone probably has some influence. But aging alone
***does not produce Parkinson's disease. This might be why we see
***improvements with antioxidant therapy, et. liver damage.
***Please proceed...<smile>

Numerous experimental studies have emphasized the role of the
ethanol-inducible cytochrome P450 in the microsomes and the
molybdo-flavoenzyme xanthine oxidase in the cytosol. This review shows
the putative role of ethanol-induced disturbances in iron metabolism in
relation to iron as a pro-oxidant factor. Ethanol administration also
affects the mitochondrial free radical generation.

***Again, when the liver is not functioning in a normal manner, et.
***ethanol-induced changes, there is a change in iron metabolism.
***continue...<smile>

 Neurology 1997 Sep;49(3):714-717 Altered systemic iron metabolism in
Parkinson's disease.Logroscino G, Marder K, Graziano J, Freyer G,
Slavkovich V, LoIacono N, Cote L, Mayeux R

*** Dietary intake did not seem to make a difference
***in the amount of iron that was deposited in the substantia nigra.
***But now we know that iron metabolism can be disturbed by liver
***functioning,and the liver is a site where apoptosis normally occurs.
***
***It could be that subtle changes in the liver could cause a change
***in iron metabolism, or it could be due to some uninvited guests.
***Whatever the reason there are many conditions in which this can
***occur. The purpose of this, was to show that the liver can effect
***iron metabolism. So it may not be all in your head.<smile>
***                      Best Wishes, Linda Forrest's Mom

 Many previous studies suggest a role for active oxygens in
ethanol-induced mitochondrial dysfunction in hepatocytes.

 Recent studies in our laboratory in the Department of Internal
Medicine, Keio University, using a confocal laser scanning microscopic
system strongly suggest that active oxidants generated during ethanol
metabolism produce mitochondrial membrane permeability transition in
isolated and cultured hepatocytes. In addition,acetaldehyde, ethanol
consumption-associated endotoxaemia and subsequent release of
inflammatory mediators may cause hepatocyte injury via both
oxyradical-dependent and -independent mechanisms. These cytotoxic
processes may lead to lethal hepatocyte injury.

 Investigations further implicate the endogenous glutathione-glutathione
peroxidase system and catalase as important antioxidants and
cytoprotective machinery in the hepatocytes exposed to ethanol.

***Here it is suggested that the antioxidants are protective,
***protecting what...the liver. Yes.
PMID: 9407347, UI: 98071238