I find it interesting most of the members on the list find pallidotomy to be
risky.  From my understanding there is minimal risk for those who are deemed
to be good candidates.  I had the procedure on Sept. 24, 1997, and have had
tremendous results.  I will have the other side done in the first quarter of
this year.
Dr. David Roberts, the surgeon responsible for my success, said that there
is a 4% chance of loss of some or all of peripheal vision and even less of a
chance of partial paralysis on the opposing side from the operation site.
To me it was as Jim said,"an act of desparation".  However, I am going to
have the other side done, and it is not an act of desparation.  I couldn't
live with myself if I did not take every calculated risk to better my
quality of life.
If you are not a good candidate then I would try these alternative
treatments.  Pallidotomy along with thalamotomy are two accepted procedures.
They are not experimental and therefore are paid by most insurance
companies.
My experience keeps getting better, as I have just started to add Mirapex to
my drug therapy.  I am down to 800 milligrams of sinemet a day from 1600mg.
I experience just a little bit of dyskinesia on my left (non-surgery) side.
I have no, that's right, no off time.
I do not want to oversell this option, but I think it is a vialbe option for
many seeking to improve their situation.  I will get off my soap box for
now.
Regards,
Greg Leeman 37/6  [log in to unmask]