Ken,

Just to put in my 2 cents worth (20 cents after inflation) -- I agree
with you.

Those who are enthusiastic over the benefits they have received from a
specific product should be able to inform others about it. At the same
time, anyone having a vested interest in the sale of said product
should indicate so.

For instance, I have mentioned several times that I have received
substantial benefit from using continuous speech recognition software.
When I first mentioned it to the group I am sure I sounded like an
advertisement for Dragon Systems, but in my opinion it is the best
there is.

Now I assume that everyone assumed that I had no ties to that company.
I don't but easily could have. Just like the pharmaceutical companies
try  to get medical professors to push their products, hard/software
companies try to get computer engineering/information systems
professors to do likewise.

Hopefully it is an indication of the trust the people on the list have
in me. Were I to have a vested  interest in selling a product I would
mention that in the beginning and then give a brief summary of the
area in which the product could help. (e.g. I have a speech
recognition program which can help those who have difficulty typing,
even those with speech problems.) I would leave the hype for direct
email contact with anyone who responded.

Perhaps Barbara could add something to this effect to her list of list
rules.

Bruce
56/9
Sinemet CR & Mirapex