from Michael Claeys, Community Outreach Coordinator, Parkinson's Action
Network, (800)850-4726
Please post to the Listserve, in case others have similar questions.

Rita,

Thank you for your question regarding the announced Community Action Team
Program.  I regret any confusion the program announcement may have caused (and
it may be due to the "garble" problem we seem to have when sending messages--a
problem we intend to fix).  Nonetheless, I am glad you asked, because others
may indeed have the same question.

The CAT program is not an "entity" in itself.  Rather  it is a method of
organizing, educating and communicating that will make the Parkinson's
advocacy community  more effective in dealing with Congress this year.  It is
a no-strings-attached way for any interested individual, or support group, to
get access to information and proven advocacy materials, receive instruction
and assistance in organizing and advocacy efforts, and to link up with other
similarly interested people or groups within the Parkinson's community.

In its conception, the CAT program has nothing to do with the meeting in
Miami.  It was developed to build on the strengths and successes of the past
few years, to meet the new challenges of garnering appropriations to fully
fund the Udall Act, and to address some of the organizational shortcomings the
community present within the advocacy  community.  When requesting feedback
and suggestions from the community, I'm sure we would have heard back
individually from most of those attending the meeting in Miami, but as long as
they were going to be together in Miami discussing related issues, we thought
it wise to ask them to discuss the CAT program as a group.  We hope their
discussions do result in substantive improvements in the structure and
implementation of the program.

Similarly, we hope for useful feedback from anyone with an interest in helping
the parkinson's community realize its goals for 1998 and beyond.

Thank you again for your question.  I hope this is a suitable response.  If
you have further questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,