Dear Friends,

To keep ALL advised, we are pleased to present this progress report of the
formation of the Parkinson Alliance:  "an association of individuals to
further the common interests of people affected by Parkinson's".

The Leadership Council of the Parkinson Alliance (formerly the NPF
Parkinson's Patients Congress) met Jan 15-18, 1998.  Twelve Parkinson's
advocates participated. Consensus was reached on all issues addressed to
date.  The next step in the evolution of this alliance is to have teams
comprised of members of the Leadership Council meet with leaders of APDA,
NPF, PAN and PDF to discuss how we might together hasten our common goal of
curing Parkinson's and helping those afflicted with Parkinson's.  A detailed
report will be made available shortly after those meetings.
At this time we would like to share the following results of our efforts:

Mission Statement
To provide a structure to empower individuals affected by Parkinson's
disease to have a voice in setting the national policy agenda for research
and patient services.

Vision Statement
The Parkinson's Alliance is an action-oriented group of people directly
affected by Parkinson's disease.  We include individuals who are fervently
dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson's disease and providing patient
services, and to that end, we will develop and maintain a national policy
agenda with and for the Parkinson's community.  In unity of purpose we
collaborate with the mainstream Parkinson's organizations and with people
who have Parkinson's disease.  Through state-of-the-art communications at
the grass roots level, we:

        -       advance the national policy agenda;
        -       promote effective coordination among existing Parkinson's disease
organizations;
        -       empower people affected by Parkinson's disease to make a difference.

Margaret Tuchman
For the Parkinson Alliance Leadership Council