To Dennis G. ('cause he's concerned about recent memory loss) and others with
PD and/or whom are worried/interested/aging/whatever, and to Ken B. who
OBVIOUSLY has already lost it all! <grinning, ducking & running>

Vis a vis the recent List-thread concerning loss of memory and whether it
was being caused by PD, natural effects of aging, or other causes, the popular
TV news magazine, "20/20" ran a brief but interesting segment about
age-related memory loss last week which focussed upon that part of
the brain called the "hippocampus."

I saw that segment and the following is basically what was said:

The hippocampus is the brain's 'home-base" where short-term memory's
concerned.  With the newer imaging devices, it's been possible to track
changes in the brain and thus the hippocampus.

MRI images were shown on the screen of the hippocampus at three life-stages.
It was very obvious to the viewer that there were noticeable changes
in the it as aging took place.

In an individual in their twenties the image of the hippocampus shows it as
being plump and at it's maximum size, indicating memory is at it's best.

When the hippocampus of someone in their early forties was viewed, the
hippocampus has become smaller, indicating it had been affected by the natual
aging process and memory loss MAY have begun.

The hippocampus of an individual in their seventies had become much less
plump, and had shrunk to about 1/2 the size (width, not length) of that of a
person in their twenties.  This shrinkage would cause more memory loss than
any other time of life.

Three persons, one of whom was Hugh Downs, "20/20's" venerable 70+ year old
news anchor, who were in those same three age groups that had been seen on the
hippocampus MRI images were given a battery of memory-challenging questions.
The results indicated what was obvious but NOT necessarily significant memory
loss as the individual and thus the hippocampus aged.

Since I share the same fears of what PD-caused memory loss might indicate in
our respective futures, not only was this information somewhat comforting (I
say "somewhat," because who the heck wants to lose ANY memory!), but indicated
to me that many of us PWPs as well as our families, caregivers,
and the medical community tends to blame ALL changes in the person with
Parkinson's as being CAUSED *BY* that disease.

I believe it's VERY, VERY important to us that we individually AND as a
group, make every effort to be as informed as possible so we can initially
research and learn about what is causing us to feel fear, and thus ACT, if
needed or if possible, instead of REACT as we so often do.

Errrr.... and I DO know it's all too easy to react first THEN act, 'cause I'm
guilty of that myself sometimes.

Barb Mallut