I've given some thought to why I prefer and use the term "Parkie" more
than I use the more popular "PWP," (tho I DO occasionally use "PWP"
in order to have word-variety for the reader)

Having been the forum manager of MSN's "Chronic Disease & Disorders
Forum" for two years, I saw virtually ALL  persons having a chronic disease
or disability refer  to their specific condition as PW/whatever-disease.
EVERBODY with a chronic disease seemed to use that "PW" to refer to people
with THEIR own specific disease just as we Parkies use "PWP."

To ME, "People-With-Parkinson's, when typed out as "PWP" lacks the
sense of INTIMACY and warmth I feel with my fellow Parkies when writing
to the List.   It's impersonal, and serviceably "efficient" for those who
don't care to type out the whole "People-With-Parkinson's.

To me, "Parkie" is a friendly nickname for PEOPLE.... not an abbreviation of
a long DISEASE name.

Barb Mallut <a Parkie who's sometimes a "PWP"> (smile)