> > Hey Jonathan, that's great, now I can understand what you are asking, but
> > don't understand how you would send "a constellation of stimulation in
> time
> > and space" or how that puts the PWP in the loop? Hmnn, guess I still
> don't,
> > Oh well, maybe I'll catch up in my next life'
> >

> > hiya bob c,
> >
> > no need to wait for the "next life".  i'll explain.
> >
> > electronic impulses currently [no pun] are sent into brain locations at a
> > certain "frequency" or time sequence like:" - - - - - -" and a certain
> > "amplitude" like:
> >
> >        *
> >   *    * *
> >   *    * *
> > * * * * * *
> >
> > in other words, amplitude is "how much" electricity, frequency is "how
> > quick" [or close together] are the bursts.  another factor to consider is
> > location, where in the brain is the stimulation sent.  by locating
> > electrodes at several different sights, and broadcasting from more than
> one
> > point on the electrode surface, it is possible to send a wide variety of
> > "patterns" to the brain, to "experiment" or play around with the
> > stimulation.
> >
> > it is possible to represent these different "parameters" or factors
> > [sequence, amplitude, location] dynamically in "real time"[like an
> internet
> > "chat", as opposed to sending letters] with different sound
> > charactersistics such as "pitch" "timbre" "sharpness" "loudness"
> "duration"
> > .... all the things musicians use to vary sound when they make a
> symphony.
> > linking the data characteristics of a signal  [electrical impulse] with
> > characteristics of sound is called "mapping".
> >
> > now, by making the sound pattern audible, the pwp knows what pattern of
> > stimulation he is sending to his own brain, and can change it, work with
> > it, in various ways until it intuitively "feels right"  that puts the pwp
> > into the loop.
> >
> > as it stands [as i understand it] the docs are sending a fixed frequency
> > a fixed location at a fixed amplitude, and the pwp has no input, no say,
> as
> > to what patterns his brain gets.
> >
> > i don't know that this approach would work, but it seems to me worth a
> try.
> >  i mentioned the idea to dr. gary hite at u of stanford hospital during
> the
> > time my mother was there getting her pallidotomy.  but it takes more than
> > casual mention to get an idea rolling.  not that i think that it should.
> > it just does.
> >
> > i hope that helps,
> >

> > jonathan

>  Hi
   Well Isubscribe to this approach completely as I believe that PD
is basically a neuron firing pattern spasm of the brain .  Altering
the spasm by introducing a new electrical pattern from outside the
brain is therefore the obvious way forward . I cannot do brain surgery
on myself so I am using electrical pulse stimulation to the skin to
stimulate electrical pulses to the brain . I just got ( at
Christmas ) a EMS/TENS machine and it has intencity controls as well
as different frequencies . I am concentrating on the frequencies
100+Hz as this seems to be one od the missing frequencies . I believe
this is basically the frequency used in DBS . One of the effects of
PD is stffness of muscles or a lack of tone . Toning muscles is done
with the EMS/TENS machine at a frequency 100+ Hz . So many pointers
to a 100+ Hz deficiency in the brain  . So far I have been able to
reduce by back/neck stiffness by 50% . The under arch area of the
foot is especial good place  to send pulses to the brain . And I use
this when I get my RLS as my L-dopa levels drop in the evening . I
think it stops it but cannot be sure it will stop by itself after
awhile . I am not compleately sure that this improvement is not just
wshful thinking . I still have not sorted out a system of continuous
electrical stimulation that will allow me to go about my normal day .
so this is another field to be explored as is using two or more
interfering frequencies . I have also to test fluctuating magnetic
frequencies as this should also set up electrical pulses in the brain
. I regard myself as a good candidate for tests , as I have PD only
in the left side ( right hemisphere is in spasm ) . I would sure like
help in confirming results and new idea imputs . I will be posting as
I achieve results anyway .
       Obviously if stimulating the brain's electrical rhythm works
and improves PD symptoms fine control of the spasm will probably
necessitate the introduction of sensors in the loop that detect
beginings of the spasm and activate the appropiate pulse to nip it in
the bud . But the first thing is to fully find out the gross effects
of electrical pulses on PD
before we can achive fine control . As I said before any information
would be most welcome to make an overall picture .
     peace
          Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )