My wife Aliza (74/3)has been taken to task for taking Nutritional
Supplements to ease her PD symptoms on the grounds that it is being
done on her own without professional medical supervision.Family
members with a technical professional background(biochemistry,physical therapy)
are concerned about possible interactions with the drugs she is taking and
associated
dangers.They argue that supplements have not been properly evaluated as
to effectiveness and risks,documented and reviewed by peer groups in
the customary way.Therefore she should stay away from using them.
Aliza has heeded this criticism and has stopped all supplements except
multivitamins and calcium/magnesium pills.

In recent months,after stopping taking supplements like NADH,pycneganol,
vitamin E,L-Carnitine,grape seed extract(PCO Phytosome),Acetyl-L-Carnitine,
Taurine,hawthorne berry capsules,and stopping taking selegiline,her PD symptoms
have gotten significantly worse.As her CG,I felt she was being helped but she is
now afraid of supplements.At one point she took acetyl-L cysteine and later
learned about detrimental effects and stopped.

I am wondering whether we can pool our info sources and organize the
information we
have about the effectiveness and risks of specific supplements as well as
interactions.
Perhaps this has already been done?

What do the neurologists have to say about supplements? When we brought this
up with
Aliza's neuro ,his response was that he doesn't know and doesn't want to know.

Warm regards to everyone.
Gil Lieberman,75, CG for Aliza 74 ,PD 3 years