Bless you, Barbara Mallut!

When  I  re-heated the Parkie vs. PWP  controversy several weeks ago I
knew that  Parkie would win hands down simply because the only thing
against it is its lack of elegance. Broadly speaking, stuffed shirts
favor the  term PWP  for that reason,  and there are few of them in the
Parkie community --- because PD knocks the crap out of Parkie and
Carepartner alike. You  nail this problem effectively and more
delicately  than I have.

Another, much tougher pet cause is  my  effort  to win adherents to the
term Carepartner. (Note that I didn't simply   say I'm trying to sell
the idea;  to sell  anything  on this network these days is dangerous
business!)  I picked up the term from a leading  Parkie activist, Jim
Maurer, and was instantly attracted to it. After all, takers give and
givers take.  In a richly rewarding  relationship  both partners give
--  and in the giving ,  receive. Furthermore, Carepartners suffer as
much and sometimes more than their Parkie partners, but the
understanding  and attention THEY need is  hidden by the terms Caregiver
and
Caretaker.
Thirty years ago at Polly's and my wedding reception my remarkable Aunt
Grace Loucks Elliott, who had retired as President of the national YWCA,
suggested that very old people like herself and the very young  were
bonded by the ability to communicate well with each other because both
were confronted with profoundly  new,  uncharted lives. The same is true
of a Parkie  and his or her Carepartner, and the dignity,  the majesty
of their voyage together into the  unknown is demeaned by the paltry
term  Caregiver.

                                                Elliott Haynes 71/3

TO  HELL WITH  PARKINSON’S !!                           LONG  LIVE  WET
BONES !!
                               Ten Ribald
Parkies                                                       Proverbs
17:22