My 2 cents worth--I started using PWP on the lists for 2 reasons: First,
because it is shorter to type (!) and second because it emphasises the
PERSON not the DISEASE. When I *speak* to anyone, I usually say
"Parkinsonian" but it's too long to write over and over and over....  and
folks wouldn't know, in general, what a "Parkie" is, I fear.  The model, I
think is PWA used for Person(s) with Aids. Never saw it for other diseases.

>George, you make some good points, which got me thinking. PWP or Parkie, may
>be ok among friends on the list, but why should anyone be referred to as an
>appendage to a disease?  They would not dare call a cancer patient a Cancy, or
>a PWC. If you have a stroke, you would not want to be called a
>Strokie......well you get the idea. Being a "Son-of-a-Parkie" almost sounds
>indecent!  I will just refer to my father as my father, who happens to have
>Parkinson's disease, if it comes up in conversation.  If you want to call me
>an SOP, I can live with it! :-) Ken B

Camilla                 [log in to unmask]

        #  The World is One Country  #