Dear Brian

Sorry to hear about your hard disc conking out.What no backup!

PLUS CA CHANGE; PLUS C'ES LA MEME CHOSE- my favourite French saying really
seems to apply here.

Out of interest I looked up some research done by the schoolmaster in the
Parkinson Village in Middle England and was interested to see that 2 years
ago that three writers contributed 142 messages in a thousand messages -  a
very similar finding to your own.I Apologise to those who have already seen
this but a copy is printed at the end of the message.There are I,m sure many
like you with not much time on their hands who automaticaly delete the most
prolific senders without reading but in the process may miss the odd
gem.However one cannot be critical of those who in the top three have the
stamina day in and day out to provide a constant flow of chat like comment
which lots of people obviously enjoy reading.So not only do they get
something off their chest but entertain at the same time. And this is what
The Golden Parkie awards is about - ENTERTAINMENT.So carry on boys and
girls- don't heed Brian Collins - there are lots of records to be broken .It
iS however a shame for those with poor marks in the 'finger tapping test' as
for them using the delete button can be a lengthy process.

David Langridge

Brian Collins  wrote;

Now if the next bit sounds a bit irritated, perhaps you will understand a
>little: I expected to find a backlog of mail when I finally got on line
>again, but 708 e-mails !!!! you have got to be joking. Something drastic
>is called for.  I am afraid that the last time this was discussed, and a
>general agreement was reached, the decision to mark the contents of an
>e-mail more clearly, thus enabling us to skip those that we did not want
>actually increased the total flow. More drastic action was required. I
>know that this is really unfair, and I may well miss some valuable
>contributions, but I did a quick bit of analysis and found that if I
>arbitrarily chop out the contributions of the three most prolific writers
>to the list, I saved myself from reading 120 emails -yes, 120. So thats
>how its going to be from now on ; those three will go back onto my list
>automatically when their output drops below 3 e-mails per week. It's a
>hard world out there, but what else can we do?

>>>Those of you who are familiar with the Parkinson village in the depths
of Middle England will not be surprised to learn that to relieve mid
winter boredom and depression when it  rains every day and the mists
swirl round the bare skeleton like trees, they get up to some strange
antics  -- no with apologies not sex--that was just a cunning little
ploy by your roving reporter to penetrate the hubub who despite a
rudimentary knowledge of the human psyche knows that when the word sex
flashes on the screen even the prudes will not use the delete button
until they have had a  little peek.So its 'No sex were British' - did
the show ever get to Broadway ?-and the dissapointed can leave now
before the proper subject of this message is revealed which is -----
'HOW WE REALLY ARE'

A few weeks ago a meeting of the Sports and Entertainment Committee was
held and it  decided to promote Golden Parkie Awards for services to
the Parkinson Internet community.Besides the publicity value for
Parkinsons world wide it was thought that the entertainment aspect
could raise valuable funds for the Parkinson village.Naturally a sub
committee had to  be set up to investigate this proposal further and
ever ambitious the first thing they did was to write to the Pope asking
him if he would like to be patron of the Awards and participate in the
first presentations which would of course take place in the village in
August 1998. A reply is still awaited from his Eminence.

Amongst other business the Golden Awards committe set up yet another
sub committe called The Research committee to investigate the current
status of Parkinson on the Internet and in particular our Parkinson
list. The village school teacher who was on the committee offered as an
educational project in numerancy skills to get the kids to analyse 1000
consecutive postings on the list and this revealed some interesting
information tabulated below;

Number of messages                 Number of senders

1-4                                 154

5-9                                  24

10-19                                16

20-29                                 4

30-39                                 2

40-49                                 3

Total number of senders             203

Most prolific senders

Mallut           48 messages

McReynol         49

CArva            45

Members of the research committte have found it interesting that in
this recent series of 1000 postings when many different  topics have
been discussed  there would appear to be 1247 lurkers (1450 minus 203)
1450 being the total numbers on the As we were most recent list.It was
suggested that possibly Parkies suffer from a Peeping Tom
syndrome.Members have been discussing various classes of awards and it
is thought that the greatest interest will be generated in a proposed
award for the writer of the greatest number of messages which would
encourage a much larger volume with a gradual climb to 200 a day by
early 1998.In the village betting shop they are already quoting odds on
the winner of this award and the Parkinson Arms is fully booked for
August 1998 even though room prices have been doubled.This soap may be
continued.