        Re:  sweating and shivering:  My husband, John, 63, who has
progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) has had episodes that could be
described as sweating and shivering.  They evolved in some cases to severe
"shivering"...actual myoclonus, as his neuro put it, or severe spasms of
his trunk and extremities, as I would put it.  But it really was like an
extreme case of shivering like we do up here in New England when we are
freezing and just can't get warm!   Anyway, he was hospitalized for one
episode - 48 hours - and the assessment was that he had an autonomic
nervous system "storm" triggered by diminished fluid intake which in turn
resulted in low urinary output...the neurologic nature of PD and PSP
contributes to bladder issues which in turn can trigger these autonomic
storms.  The take-home message is, fluids!  There must be a minimum of 1500
(says our neuro) - 2000 (says the urologist) cc. of water/juice per day.
Coffee/tea do not count.  Must be water, herbal tea or juice.  We have had
subsequent episodes of this...some not so severe.  Now I can see it coming
when his fluid intake falls off and we simply try to be vigilant.  The
problem is that he has a lot of coughing/throat-clearing issues when he
drinks water so he doesn't like to drink it.  Anyway, that's our
experience.  Hope it is helpful.

*****
Janice Clements
649 Everest Rd.