(23 Jan 98) Too Many Messages?

Personally, I like the Parkinsn. list and forum just the way it is!
For those who joined more recently than I, we've gone through this
before; like politics it runs in cycles. Proposals to split the
forum into subcategories have failed to get much support. I say,
"It takes all kinds" and I like the variety. I check my inbox about
once a day, and if not busy I may stop and read some of the jokes
and idle chatter- otherwise (supposing the sender and subject are
accurately named) I merely hit the "delete" key once for each
message. This rarely takes more than a minute or two, even for 100
or more items, and likewise rarely takes more than that for my ISP
to download them when I first log on. Then I can log off
(disconnect) from my ISP to leisurely read and compose replies to
the few that interest me, for transmission later. The only hitch is
that you must delete the unwanted traffic while still connected,
otherwise it will reappear next time you open your inbox.

As one who posts 3 or more very long messages a month, I'm well
aware that the length bothers some listmembers who aren't
interested in that material. But other listmembers remind me that
they are interested, and after quite a bit of discussion, the
present format still seems to best meet everyone's different needs
(some, e.g., have access to e-mail but not www).

I try to be frugal with "log-on" time, not only because I have
other things to do, but also because it prevents anyone reaching
me on my single phone line. Even so, I have logged 30 or 40 hours
a month if I'm not careful. For others, access to the "net" is an
important part of life, and they may be at the keyboard all day
every day. If they enjoy it, why not?

On a different subject, congratulations John Cottingham on your
great drug database website, and to Kathrynne Holden for the
enormous effort it must take to assemble the data. My only other
comment is that this is an endless task, because to keep up with
the "very latest" rumors you must scan the current literature.
For example I looked at Acetazolamide (Diamox) and didn't see the
bit about its mysterious (anecdotal) value against severe
fluctuations of PD symptoms during the menstrual cycle. Likewise,
Apomorphine (Britaject), a short-lived but very potent dopamine
agonist, has been used for a long time as a research tool, but
now is available on prescription in the UK for self-injection by
PD patients, to bridge the sudden and unpredictable "off" periods
that occur in the later stages of the disease.

Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road