>Hi Claire-- the info about your friend is very interesting.
There are many
>folks who feel that their PD was "caused" or at least
"triggered" by toxic
>exposure.

Every psychiatrist and psychologist learns about the
tendency of human beings, when diagnosed with an incurable
disease, to firstly enter into denial, ie, "The doctor must
be wrong; I *can't* have xyz!"  When the diagnosis is
confirmed, and the afflicted person finally accepts the
diagnosis, they then commonly look for a "cause" for the
complaint.  This attitude partly comes from a desire to look
for someone or something one can 'blame' for the disorder.
Another factor is a general disinclination to accept 'bad
happenings' as being attributable to 'blind chance'; it just
doesn't seem fair.

It is generally accepted that by the time PD is diagnosed,
80% of the cells in the substantia nigra have been
destroyed.  Given that this is so, the time of contracting
PD must rest some distance into the past.  Therefore, no
recent experience or event would be the causative factor.

Any proposed causative factor for Parkinson's Disease must
take into account the time period over which PD has been
definitely known to science, and, to a lesser extent, the
cases of PD which have been postulated in history.  These
include "the man taken with the palsy", mentioned in the
Christian bible, the model for the Good Samaratin in
Rembrandt's painting of the same name, the suggestion that
the model for Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa had PD, and some
evidence that may indicate that even one or more of the
ancient Pharaohs had PD.

That is not to say that a chemical or chemical composition
present in today's environment could not be implicated in
PD, since it didn't exist earlier in history.  Take the case
of lead poisoning.  It has been postulated that the lead
compounds in modern petrol (gasoline) cause disorders in
susceptible persons, particularly children.  Since gasoline
is a recent development, and since cases of lead poisoning
were known in in Ancient Roman times, in the Middle Ages,
and in the 18th century, it would be tempting to suggest
that lead was not the cause.

However, one finds that lead water pipes were used
extensively in the homes of rich Ancient Romans (that is
where the word plumbing comes from - the Latin for lead is
plumbum - and you thought it meant someone with a fruit
shaped bottom, didn't you!)  Then one finds that lead was a
component of pewter, commonly used for eating-platters and
tankards in the middle ages,  and was included as a part of
a white pigment in some 18th century paints, then the
connection of the disorder with lead is re-established.

A theory current among some researchers is that the causes
of PD are multifold, and that only the resultant effects are
common.  Another possibility is genetic heredity; although
not everyone with PD has blood ancestors with diagnosed PD.
Of course, some diseases with proven genetic connections are
known to skip generations.  Further, in past times people
with PD may well have died before the gross symptoms became
apparent.

Researchers, being only human, can jump to wrong
conclusions.  This is usually because they have not made a
distinction between cause and effect, or because they were
pursuing a theory and accepted the first apparent 'proof'
that came along.  For example, post-mortem studies of brains
from people with PD show a marked incidence of inorganic
iron, and an insufficiency of the substance that turns such
iron into a form acceptable to human metabolism.  Does this
mean that PD is caused by inorganic iron in the brain?  Or
by a lack of chelating agents? Or are both merely a result
of PD?  This would require a further study to be made to
investigate each of these possibilities.

For a factor to be considered as a sole cause of  PD, some
evidence must be adduced that this factor is present in ALL
persons with PD, and that it is not present, or is inactive,
in control subjects without PD.  The fact that no reputable
researcher to date has been able to establish such a case
for any factor is the reason why some scientists lean to a
theory of multiple causes.

A common error is to suppose that because a substance or a
physiological sign is apparent in every case of PD, that
this is proof that the thing found is either a cause of, or
as a result of, PD.  The researcher needs to examine a
'control group' of people of similar age, weight, lifestyle,
ethnicity, etc, to establish a 'norm' against which the PD
incidence can be measured.

For example, if I told you that excess iron was found in the
brains of PD sufferers, and that iron was found in the red
blood cells of all persons with PD, would this prove that
iron was a causative factor for PD?  No, not when you
realise that iron is found in the red blood cells of every
human being, not to mention all other red-blooded animal
life.

So research scientists who are attracted to research the
causes of PD by the potential for funding as a result of the
Udall Bill, or for just plain old-fashioned concern for an
afflicted portion of the population, will have to carefully
construct their experiments so as to eliminate such
potential errors as described above.

Jim Slattery