When I arrived home last night, I found a message from my friendly,
neighborhood, pharmacy.  Blue Cross/Blue Shield of W. Pa., would no longer pay
for Requip.
Bright and early this morning, I called to straighten them out.  Well, it's not
in their new 'formulary', their Bible, which tells them which prescriptions are
covered.
Called my local Blue Cross.  She checked, not on the list, not covered.  I
should go back to Neuro and have him prescribe a similar drug that was on their
list.  Explained that it was newly FDA approved and that if there were a similar
drug, they wouldn't have had to invent a new one. Then go file a grievance.
Called Jim Cordy (who has been a great help to me in the past).  Jim hadn't
heard about Blue Cross not paying for Requip.  Suggested I call Smithkline
Beecham to see if they were aware their product was not being covered by at
least one major insurer. Couldn't find their number.
And here I sit, two months into the program(I'm at 4mg per day), experiencing
some pluses, (more alert, sleeping better), enough Requip for one more day, next
Neuro appointment Feb 25th and boiling mad. Another case of business
administrators second guessing the doctor.  Sure.  I can (and will) go lay out
the dough ($90.00 for 110 pills I think), but what really scalds me is that for
the past 45 years I have paid into their coffers.  Now, when I could use there
help, my needs are not in their'formulary'.  Any suggestions?

Joe Young (66/6)