Dear list members,

There have been several notes about Parkinson's Awareness Day or Month.
Is this a national campaign?  Local?   A worldiwide campaign?  Is there
some reason for a particular month or day?  Is some particular organization
or group of organizations pushing this?  APDA is talkimg about  having
local governmental entities proclaim April 11 as World Parkinson Disease
Day?  Is this a strictly APDA idea?

This is a part of my e-mail to APDA from wwhich I have not gotten a
response so far:

I have some questions:

1. Is there any reason for this particular day? April 11 is the second
saturday in April. There should be some reason for picking such a
date...Dr. Parkinson's birthday, first time Ldopa used in human trials, or
some other auspicious occasion.  The idea would be far easier to sell with
a reason for the date.

2. This is to be WORLD Parkinson Disease Day.  Are foreign PD groups
participating? The local media would want to know.

3. Is this a strictly APDA operation?  From the letter I would gather that
April 11 was set aside as World Parkinson Disease Day and that APDA is a
participant.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road