Sharon and Mary,

ECT is occasionally necessary for depressed PD patients and in fact sometimes it
is used for PD even in the absence of depression.  It can sometimes by the
release it causes of neurotransmitters cause an improvement in PD symptoms.
Therefore If your  doctor recommends it (both PD and psychiatrist)  I would
suggest going along with it.  Medically it is pretty safe and is the most
effective single treatment available for intractable depression.

Regarding Mary's comment about him being better off not on a psych unit as a
psychiatrist I tend to agree with her.  It depends on the unit but as all us PWP
are aware it takes a special knowledge of PD to meat the needs of a PWP.  For
instance the critical of exact timing of meds is relatively unique to PD.  Most
psych nurses are not attuned to this.  It depends on the particular hospital as
to which unit he would be better off on but in general I tend to agree with Mary
that neuro would be better.

Good luck.

Charlie

--