I admit that I hastily composed the message I sent earlier today.  I should
have taken the time to be more thoughtful in presenting it to the list.
Perhaps this will better state what I was trying to communicate.
Although Pallidotomy is not suited for everyone, I certainly think it is a
viable long term treatment for those struggling with their current drug
therapies.
First, through the many years this procedure has been performed on
Parkinsonian's, insufficient knowledge of the intended lesion site caused
many grave consequences.  Without MRI technology to give required imaging to
find the exact port where hyperactivity causes the severe side effects of
synthetic dopamine, it was a far more daunting task to minimize risk.
Another reason for improved results is the selectivity surgeons use when
choosing appropriate candidates.  By using  an aneastetic that allows the
patient to be alert and able to communicate with the surgeon, patients are
able to warn the surgeon of problems.  If the patient sees a bright light
while closing his/her eyes will prevent the permanent lesioning of this site
as it would cause peripheal vision problems.
I understand even the thought of brain surgery elicits fear and anxiety in
most people.  I'm  here to tell you my experience was good.  I feel I would
be doing a disservice to the list if I did not inform  its many well
educated members.  Please, for your own benefit, find out if you are a good
candidate.  Dr. Roberts success rate is over 90%.  It continues to climb as
they have become more selective in the canadidates they choose.  He also
explained to me that they had their annual conference on the two procedures.
They are astounded by the uniformity of problems that occur.  He said he
expects the results to continue as long as surgeons follow the protocol they
adopt at the conference.
Regards,
Greg Leeman 37/6 [log in to unmask]