JOE,

Absolutely do NOT PUT UP WITH IT!!

I suggest you take the following course of action:

#1  Contact your neurologist. Tell him about your problem ask him if you can
have some samples to hold you.  If you can't get them buy a small quantity to
keep you going.  Ask him to call Blue Cross and to put in writing that it his
medical judgment that Requip has  properties which make it unique from the other
agonists and it is his medical opinion that nothing else will substitute for
it.  Ask him to send a copy of the letter to you and to if possible FEDEX the
original addressed to the Medical Director of your Blue Cross program,

#2 iN THE MEANTIME call them again and ask to speak to someone in the office of
the medical director or someone in pharmacy services and ask them and give them
a chance to reverse who you talked to.(Since it may be approved but hasn't
reached the level where the customer service people have knowledge of it) If
denied put in writing what they had told you.  Get the name of who you are
talking to and try to get down in writing their response verbatim or as close to
it as possible.  Tell them that you need the information because you think that
their decision is arbitrary and not based on current medical thinking and you
are thinking of filing suit.

#3 PLAY HARDBALL!!
If you have an attorney contact him and as important copy all letters you write
to him.  Also send copies to AARP,  your MD and the State Insurance Commissioner
(and to me if you'd like) Send a letter FEDEX to Blue Cross telling them that
they are contractually obligated to provide medically necessary treatment and if
they fail to provide the Requip that you will treat it as a breach of contract.

#4 Remember YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT.  Don't let them intimidate you.  You can call
me if you want at 608-833-9336. And if you have an attorney get advice from
one.  I speak from experience in dealing with insurance companies both as a
patient and as a physician.  In one case after months of run-around I got my
local Blue Cross to deliver me (as a patient) a check for over $1000  they owed
me by special messenger rather than run the risk of passing a deadline that I
had given them.

#5 Continue your Requip and if possible pay out of your own pocket and save the
receipts.  Otherwise get samples from your doctor.

Managed care has its positive points,  but this is clearly either a bureaucratic
error or flagrant insurance malpractice in my opinion.

GO GET'M JOE

CHARLIE

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.