Ervin McCarthy wrote:

> To  List:
> Does anyone have any information or experience with Chelation
> or Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy to assist  in Parkinson?

  Ervin:
            These two therapies are commonly referred to as part of the
alternative medicine movement.  However, I have not read nor heard of
them being used to treat Parkinson symptoms or causes,
             Chelation refers to a method by which proteins (or amino
acids) are chemically bonded to mineral molecules, such as calcium, zinc
or magnesium to make them more rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream.
This allows for more of the nutrient value of the mineral to be utilized
by the body.  Chelation Therapy has been used outside of the U.S. to
treat arterial blockage without surgery.  A synthetic amino acid
(ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid) is introduced into the
bloodstream.  It is claimed this reduces arterial plaque allowing
greater blood flow to the heart.  There is also a claim that Chelation
Therapy prevents the production of "free radicals," which could be the
Parkinson's link.
            Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is performed in the U.S.  It is a
spin-off from underwater diving using oxygen tanks.  If air bubbles form
in the bloodstream of a diver who has risen too fast to the water
surface, the diver is placed into a recompression or hyperbaric chamber
which simulates the water pressure at various depths allowing a slower
decompression and elimination of the air bubbles from the bloodstream.
            It is claimed that a patient placed into a recompression
chamber can benefit from the improved oxygenation of the blood flowing
to body organs.  Although the claims are made for the improvement of a
variety of medical conditions after hyperbaric therapy, they mainly deal
with wound recovery, blood  oxygen enhancement, and skin graft and burn
recovery.  Again, I have not seen claims for the treatment of
Parkinson's disease with hyperbaric therapy.

Stephan 53/7