--------------9556AE965170390A2FF7D27E

Since there has been a few posts about this "Virus"??? I thought I would
pass along what the experts think.

--------------9556AE965170390A2FF7D27E

Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:22:23 -0500
Sender:       The Internet TourBus - A virtual tour of cyberspace
Comments:     Resent-From: [log in to unmask]
Comments:     Originally-From: Patrick Douglas Crispen <[log in to unmask]>
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      TOURBUS UPDATE -- 30 JANUARY 1998
To:           [log in to unmask]

This post contains inline ASCII graphics which look best in a monospace
font like Courier.  Text-to-speech readers should turn off punctuation now.
    _________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________ ___ _
   /         |            /        |          |             /   | \
  |          |           /         |          |            /    |  \
  |__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/     |   \
 /                                                       /______|----\
|                      Are we there yet?                 |      |    |
\________________________________________________________|______|____|
    /   \  /   \                                             /   \
    \___/  \___/  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s    \___/

Howdy, y'all!  Did you miss me?  :P

I have a few, quick things to share with you that I wasn't able to put in
my post yesterday:

     1. Our friend, the "Join the Crew" virus hoax, has once again
        raised its ugly little head.  As you will remember, the hoax
        says that

             "If you receive an email titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO NOT
             open it. It will erase everything on your hard drive."

        Remember folks, regular, plain-text e-mail letters -- the
        plain old vanilla e-mail letters (like this one) that you
        receive every day -- can *NOT* contain viruses or trojan
        horses.  Period.  It does not matter WHAT the subject line of
        the letter is -- "Good Times," "Penpal Greetings," "Deeyenda,"
        "Irina," "AOL4FREE," "Join the Crew," "I AM A REALLY MEAN
        VIRUS AND I AM GOING TO EAT YOUR HARD DRIVE" -- plain text
        e-mail letters simply can not contain viruses or trojan
        horses.  If anyone tells you otherwise, they are either lying
        or are badly misinformed.

     2. I made [yet] another "whoopsie."  Yesterday I wrote that

             A few TOURBUS riders also asked me to point out that
             while DSS (digital satellite system) and cable modem
             Internet connections allow you download files from the
             Internet quite quickly, you still have to use your plain
             old modem and telephone line to be able to upload files
             to the Net.

        While you do indeed need a plain old telephone line to upload
        files with a DSS, this isn't necessary with [most] cable modem
        connections.  Most [but not all] cable services are now
        bidirectional, meaning that you can upload and download using
        the same cable connection.  So long as your cable operator
        has upgraded their cable lines for bidirectional data
        transfer, you should be able to get by without ever having to
        use your phone line to surf the Net again.  But, if your cable
        service provider does not offer bidirectional service, you
        will be stuck using your plain old modem and telephone line to
        upload files. :(

        Now that I have successfully removed that foot from my mouth,
        it is time to insert another.  One word of warning:  even with
        a bidirectional cable modem connection, it is quite possible
        that that your upload speeds may be _significantly_ slower
        than your cable modem download speeds.  This may not always
        be the case, though.  Check with your local cable company for
        their cable modem upload and download speeds.

That's it.  :)

=====================[ TOURBUS Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet TOURBUS - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-98, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
            Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com

 Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to [log in to unmask]
 Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to [log in to unmask]

 PROMOTE your business on the Internet TOURBUS.  Reach over 80,000
    people in a Net-friendly way.  Our sponsors say "It works!"
   Make it work for you - contact [log in to unmask] for details.

 Editors: Reprint TOURBUS in your publication for free - Ask me how.
    Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!

            .~~~.  ))
  (\__/)  .'     )  ))       Patrick Douglas Crispen
  /o o  \/     .~
 {o_,    \    {      **NEW** [log in to unmask] **NEW**
   / ,  , )    \           http://www.netsquirrel.com/
   `~  '-' \    } ))
  _(    (   )_.'                Warning: squirrels.
 '---..{____}

--------------9556AE965170390A2FF7D27E

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bob  Chapman   65/2
n:              Chapman   65/2;Bob
email;internet: [log in to unmask]
note:           Hangin' on the ropes, waitin' for the bell to ring.
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard