And while we honor the past, let us imagine the future.
The entire store of human knowledge now doubles every five years. In the
1980s, scientists identified the gene causing cystic fibrosis -- it took 9
years. Last year, scientists located the gene that causes Parkinson's
Disease -- in only 9 days. Within a decade, "gene chips" will offer a
roadmap for prevention of illness throughout a lifetime. Soon, we will be
able to carry all the phone calls on Mother's Day on a single strand of
fiber the width of a human hair. A child born in 1998 may well live to see
the 22nd Century.
Tonight, as part of our gift to the next millennium, I propose a 21st
Century Research Fund for path-breaking scientific inquiry. This will be the
largest funding increase in history, for the National Institutes of Health,
the National Science Foundation, and the National Cancer Institute. We have
already discovered genes for breast cancer and diabetes. I ask you to
support this initiative, so ours will be the generation that finally wins
the war against cancer -- and begins a revolution in our fight against all
deadly diseases.

Jim Cordy
Pittsburgh