One more question: does anyone have any interesting news about funding
of linked courses?  Did anyone have any success getting new money out of
central funds or out of the disciplines served, or did it all come out
of money that was being used to teach writing anyway.

This is _really_ the agenda here.  Right now the entire writing service
is funded by charging students $50 to write the test.  SInce it's the
test I'm trying to phase out, I need to find a way to get the monkey off
my back without shooting myself in the foot.  (Perhaps I should shoot
the monkey in the back?)