Tuesday February 3

Insulin-Like Agent Restores Motor Control

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Laboratory experiments suggest that an insulin-like
substance known as IGF-I may help restore lost motor coordination in people
with cerebral ataxia, a disorder affecting muscle control and walking due to
injury to the brain's cerebellum. Currently, the disorder is untreatable.

Researchers at the Cajal Institute in Madrid, Spain, say their findings in
laboratory rats with experimentally induced cerebral ataxia indicate that
timing is an important factor in treatment. The sooner IGF-I was given, the
more it aided recovery of brain cells.

In addition, the researchers found that the rats completely recovered motor
control whether the substance was infused directly into the brain or was
injected under the skin.

The study team notes that patients with cerebral ataxia are not as common as
those with other neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's or
Parkinson's diseases. Still, they point out that the "complete lack" of any
effective treatment for it makes their IGF-I findings of "significant
societal interest." Moreover, they note that IGF-I is currently being tested
for other neurological disorders, including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,
also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"Thus, its possible use in the treatment of human cerebellar ataxia appears
of great promise," the researchers conclude.

Cerebellar ataxia may be due to damage to the cerebellum (part of the brain
concerned with coordination) or to the nerve pathways that carry information
to and from the cerebellum. Possible causes include stroke, brain tumor, alcohol
intoxication, and multiple sclerosis, or other types of nervous system
degeneration. SOURCE: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
(1998;95:1253-1258)

Copyright © 1998 Reuters Limited.

JUdith Richards