I don't really know why I am posting this. It's just that I want to talk
about it, and someone out there may understand.
Today my wife, Doreen, 66/3, and I, 77, skied. We have skied for a lot of
years, first down hill and then, maybe 16-17 years ago, we switched to
cross-country. We have done everything: raced, officiated at races, coached
and taught skiing. We love the sport and it has filled our winters and kept
us healthy, except in one respect; it didn't stop the onset of pd.
It was four winters ago that we noticed the first symptoms. Doreen's left
pole was dragging and there didn't seem to be much she could do about it.
We tried shorter, longer, different weight poles. Nothing helped. Then the
following September she was diagnosed with "old Debil" pd. The diagnosis
solved the poling riddle.
We have continued to ski, but have given up racing. We still coach and
officiate, but not as much. Doreen's poling has deteriorated until, now she
can only pole on one side--strange thing though, when she double poles,
both sides work, it's just when she is diagonal striding that the left
side, the one with the tremor, lets her down.
Last week she fell a couple of times, on corners where in bygone days she
had whizzed around. She couldn't get up. Just not enough strength in her
arms. Her world started to come apart there and then.
It took a lot of cajoling on my part to get her to ski again, but I
succeeded. We went. At first she was nervous, ready to quit. "why bother.
it's over." "Not so," I said. Anyway we took the easy routes and gradually
her confidence returned. We have skied maybe eight times since and I have
bullied her into trying more demanding routes. She has handled them just
fine. We both know, though, that if she falls, she will have to stay down
until help arrives.
We have always skied together, but now I ski closer to her, which is just
fine. Which brings me back to today. We had a wonderful day. We skied 12
kilometres over a demanding route in brilliant sunshine and ideal
temperatures. Doreen fell three times on long downhill runs--she no longer
has the strength in her left leg to snowplow and slow herself down. However
I was beside her and with a little help got her vertical again. We managed
to make a game of it--sort of. We were able to laugh about it, and she
continued on. When she arrived home, she was tired, but happy. She now
knows there is a different set of rules, but she doesn't have to give up
skiing. Not yet anyway.
We now ski side by side and we talk and look at the scenery, the tracks and
the wonderful shapes of the snow-laden trees. And every so often we stop
and hug each other.
Thanks for listening folks.