Because of the many discussions of this surgery, and especially Ida's
recent report, I thought this might be of interest:

While surfingthe web (doesn't that sound impressive!) I came across the
site for the New EnglandJournal of Medecine,and some data re: pallidotomy
in advanced PD.
This was a discussion in letters to the Ed. of an article in the Oct.9,1997
issue of the NEJM.
 One writer questioned the study's finding that pal. was effective
treatment for advanced PD, criticizing the practice of "making destructive
lesions in a degenerating brain."

Another writer defended the study, stating  that the authors carefully
pointed out that pal. is "not appropriate for all PWPs with advanced PD",
and "should be limited to those with severe levadopa-induced dyskinesias
and those disabled by the off-period symptoms". They also stated that
"patients with compromised neuropsychological function, should not undergo
(pal.) because of the substantial risk of further cognitive decline....the
role of pal. is to treat intractable drug-induced dyskinesias...adverse
effects of surgery are substantial...this surgery should not be taken
lightly."

In replying, the study's authors (Anthony Lang,MD,Andres Lozano,MD,both of
Toronto Hospital) pointed out that while preferable not to make a brain
lesion,there are PWPs who are so disabled by off periods and dysjinesias,
and can't wait for "further advances in our understanding".  They stated
that "complications for 97% were mild,and patients would in retrospect
undergo the surgery again.  They emphasized the "need for caution in
selecting patients with specific types of predominant off-period
disability, since improvement in ambulatory type symptoms waned (3-6
months)after surgery" in their study. But they claimed that improvement in
contralateral off-period parkinsonism and levadope-induced dyskinesias
remained significant during at least 2 years of follow-up. "...we are
cautiously optimistic  about the benefit of this surgery in carefully
selected patients" was the bottom line.

  Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 79/8
  Oxford, OH
 * Ask me about the CARE list for*