I have been "lurking" for so long, trying to grasp the realities of
Parkinson's-- in the wee hours of the night, when children are asleep-- that
I'm not sure if I've "introduced" or not! ... My sister, Ann, and I are
caregivers for our mother, Leah, 75yo.  Several years ago, Mom suffered from
atrial (sp?) fibrillation, small stroke damage and  resultant problems with
movement, gaze, etc. (One of the first nurses visiting for an attempt at
night-time care commented that Mom's symptoms seemed "very Parkinson's like";
so, too, did the neurologist comment.) At the time, Mom's liver levels were
very high, so we worked at removing (gradually) drugs that had been prescribed
at the time of crisis... She was, for  a couple of years, just taking Lanoxin
for heart, Insulin (R and NPH) for diabetes (Type I for over 65 years).
Almost a month ago (January), Ann and I took Mom to the neurologist for a "we
are concerned!" visit.  Her endocrinologist seemed to have no clear
explanation for increasing (and emotionally very painful) signs of dementia
and inability to move without greater and greater assistance).  (We have, all
along, had physical therapy, some speech therapy, and upcoming occupational
therapy through home health care.)

At the January visit, the neurologist prescribed Requip. "This looks like
Parkinson's.... everything you're describing is typical....".  And, so, we
have begun, feeling like we are much further along a painful path than we (any
of us!) want to be.... Mom is on the third week of the "sample packet" of
Requip, going from one pill at each meal the first week, 2per meal 2nd week,
to this week's 3 per meal.  She has had some nausea, but no other signs of
change or effect. She is often very, veryiremind her of her daughters).  Ann
has moved into Mom's home to care for her
(I take e-mail to her everytime I go... thank you!), and I go over MWF to give
Ann some kind of break.  Ann is handling the care with gentleness and love; I
am overwhelmed with love and heartbreak for both of them, so very thankful for
the sanity Ann brings to the whole picture.  Mom is so very child-like now,
and she continues to be the sweet person she always has been (a retired
second-grade teacher and wonderful gramma for my two little children); Ann
does not have any children... hence, the decision to "live in" with Mom.
Ann's husband, Pat, drives four hours to Mom's home every weekend (another
saint!) to help Ann with care on weekends.
Our current question:  why would neurologist use Requip without some other
drug for the el-dopa?  Is this a fair question?  Should we expect to see any
changes with Requip only? (we don't see ANY change yet...) Again, Mom is
totally dependent on our help for moving from bed to bathroom, table, etc. We
use wheelchair for moving her, always having to talk her through moving each
foot from bed to wheelchair.  She is very stiff-- physical therapist is
working with frozen shoulder now....
We have a visit to neurologist later this week; just thought I would write to
see if anyone has any suggested questions we might ask her. (?) Again and
again, thank you for your considerations.... BTW, my family will be moving
over to Mom's next week, so that I can care for her full-time, and Ann can go
home for a much-needed 10 day stretch at her own home.  Sooooo.... probably
when I need it most, I'll be away from this wonderful support group.  Any
words of wisdom before I leave (Friday) would be treasured (and probably read
daily:)!)  Thanks again,
Carole,  (the Younger Sister :))))