In the new edition of the central Ohio PD Society newsletter there's a
brief but interesting piece on hallucinations.

In a Q and A section, the question is about visual hallucinations. The
response, by Dr. George Paulsion of Ohio State U. PD 'Center of
Excellence" states that visual hallucinations are not part of PD
<italic>per se</italic>, but mostly drug related. In later stages, with
developing cognitive problems,visual hallucinations may occur,
especially for the aged and those on high med dosages. He goes on to
say, which Peter found very interesting, that "seeing peripheral
movements that do not exist, or having the sensation that someone is in
the room when no one is there,is probably NOT hallucination and is
extremely common in PD."

Peter had just been telling me that he often had "a sense" that a
family member was here, but he knew it wasn't so. I was glad that this
seems NOT to be a sign of too many meds!   Dr. Paulson also mentioned
that if visual hallucinations occur in early stages, Lewy Body disease
or a PD-Plus syndrome may be suspected.

  Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 79/8

  Oxford, OH

 * Ask me about the CARE list for*