From: Camilla H.Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, February 03, 1998 6:59 PM
Subject: Hallucinations

>In the new edition of the central Ohio PD Society newsletter there's a
brief but interesting piece on hallucinations.
>In a Q and A section, the question is about visual hallucinations. The
response, by Dr. George Paulsion of Ohio State U. PD 'Center of Excellence"
states that visual hallucinations are not part of PD per se, but mostly drug
related. In later stages, with developing cognitive problems,visual
hallucinations may occur, especially for the aged and those on high med
dosages. He goes on to say, which Peter found very interesting, that "seeing
peripheral movements that do not exist, or having the sensation that someone
is in the room when no one is there,is probably NOT hallucination and is
extremely common in PD."

>Peter had just been telling me that he often had "a sense" that a family
member was here, but he knew it wasn't so. I was glad that this seems NOT to
be a sign of too many meds! Dr. Paulson also mentioned that if visual
hallucinations occur in early stages, Lewy Body disease or a PD-Plus
syndrome may be suspected.