Hello friends,   There seems to be some confusion about the role of some of
the PD drugs - hardly surprising considering how many new drugs have become
available recently.

Currently, there is only one COMT inhibitor : Tasmar (Used to be called
Tolcapone before it went on the market). Tasmar is supposed to inhibit the
formation of a chemical called COMT: COMT in its turn can break down the
Dopamine in the brain. So the story is that if we reduce the amount of COMT
in the brain, the dopamine will not get broken down so quickly, and so will
last longer.
   It sounds too simple to me;  Why is it a good thing to prolong the
duration of dopamine in the brain? Why not just take a bit more dopamine?
I remember that I used to have problems when I could tolerate the Sinemet
CR tablets, because I new that If I got the level of dopamine wrong, I was
going to have to live with the consequences for the next 4 hours, whereas
the ordinary tablets run out in 2 hours.  I think that what we really want
is a smooth steady flow of levadopa into the brain, and as usual, its the
darned food that we have to eat which messes that up.
    I think Margie was getting confused about the action of the COMT
inhibitor, Tasmar. The theory is that the Dopamine is always there: in a
recently diagnosed PWP, a fair proportion of the dopamine in the brain is
made in and by the brain: in a person who has had it a long time, like me
for example (diagnosed 20 yrs ago)most of the dopamine comes from tablets
which get to the brain, and replace the naturally-produced dopamine.

Are you thouroughly confused now?  If not, try this on: My neuro recently
told me that Tasmar actually does its thing in the body, NOT in the brain!!
If true, it could still work, but it is getting into an area in which it
could easily be over - whelmed. Maybe that is why people have such varying
results. from Tasmar.

 --  Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>