I 'll add something to the thread about (in)visibility, that was
discussed on the list some time ago.

I told in my mail of yesterday  that my equilibrium is disturbed and I it
happens that I fall and need help to stand up again. When that happened
in my own neighbourhood I learned just how much people,  that I don't
know at all do know me, and know exactly were I live. So it seems my
visibility is not lower but higher than that of others. But this is
visibility of another kind  than Denis Greene wrote about in his "ghost
story" in which visibility  stands for the extent that people see you as
the person you are in spite of  the symptoms. Anyway, their reactions are
helpfull. It is a situation in which it is clear what is expected of them
and in which the initiative is theirs, and they  hardly feel embarrassed.
Before my surgery  it happened sometimes  that I was in town (in the
Hague ) and I was going "off" and could not walk any more. I  entered the
most nearby shop, explained in a few words what was going on  and asked
to call a taxi. This siuation brought about the same helpfull reaction.

 More difficult were situations in which I travelled by train and became
dyskinetic, a situation in which other people are confronted with me
without being expected to do something.  In situations like that there is
much embarassment, and other people made me feel as if I had some highly
contagious and disgusting disease. I also experienced this same reaction
in other public places like supermarkets. People often stare at me, but
immediately turn away when I look back and they startle when I come too
close. As a PWP with clearly manifest symptoms I have been  in many other
European countries. Everywere people behaved about the same way to me,
with one exception: Turkey. We had decided to go there in the spring of
1995  for a holiday because  I wanted to see  the remnants of Greec
culture, which exist in  large quantities (and high qualities) along he
coasts of Turkey. That has for me a bit of extra significance, because I
learned classical Greec in my youth, and did read Homer in original
untranslated text.  We had never gone so far south because Andre, my
husband,  hates heat and  we could go there only when the children had
finished their school and we could leave for a holiday in april or may.
The way people reacted to me was so amazing different. People in Turkey
drink always tea and one is  invited everywhere to drink tea with them,
for exampe after buying something in a shop. As soon as I am not in my
best phase of the med's cycle, I am not able to take a cup and bring it
to my mouth. Seeing that, people started to fix up a seat for me were the
tea could be put near my mouth and  cunjured up a straw, which was
exactly what I did need. If people stared at me and I looked back they
did not turn away, but came to me and were eager to find something to
help me without even the slightest trace of embarassment. Because of that
they did not cause me to feel my symptoms as something frightening or
disgusting.=20

I gather this difference in culture has some relation to the extent in
which society as a whole takes care of the diseased and invalidated and
people as individuals feel as a consequence they are  not supposed  to do
something on their own. If that is true, the conclusion is sad; one can
not have both  caring  authorities and caring individuals. But for me,
having been politically always more on the left than on the right side,
confusing as these concepts have turned out to be ( Dennis, in Europe
nobody knows to differentiate  left from right any more now communism has
lost its power ) it is for me not a conclusion  I like to stick to.=20

I am interested in the experiences and thoughts of others in these
matters.

Regards, Ida Kamphuis, Holland </bigger></fontfamily>

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]