Clozaril cannot be dispensed without a weekly blood test to monitor
possible adverse side effects.

As of 2/1/98, Medicare will not cover any for an at-home health service
to draw blood for labwork.  They will pay for a lab technician from a
doctor's office or a recognized medical laboratory to come out and draw
the blood.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find anyone who fits this
description who will do this for less than 5 or 10 people at a time.
I've called the Clozaril Registry at Novartis, but they were no help.

A weekly trip to the doctor for a CBC is probably not feasible, and the
out-of pocket (retail) cost for in-home health to do it would be $50-65
per week.  Supplemental insurance follows Medicare guidelines, so that
is not an option either.  Any suggestions on how to get these labs done?

I also wonder whether this is an issue worth appealing/protesting to
Medicare, as it makes things difficult for PWP and others with limited
mobility who require regular labs.  What is the process for doing this?

Mark Klapper