Brian,
I have had PD for about 10 years and was diagnosed 6 years ago.  I have been
taking sinemet since diagnosis along with about every imaginable agonist and
adjunct medication on the market.  I had a pallidotomy (unilateral-I have a
scheduled appointment with the neurosurgeon on March 2nd to decide whether
to do the other side) at a cost of a little over $13,000.  I have only been
able to reduce the Sinemet to about 1000mg/day from 1600mg/day due to the
introduction of Mirapex into my schedule.  I am currently taking 3mg of
Mirapex a day although we may try to up that to 4.5mg to try to reduce the
Sinemet further as I still experience dyskinesias on the unaffected side.

However, I feel that cost effectiveness takes a back seat to human kindness
in any medical decision witin reason.  A lot of what is happening in the
area of managed care disturbs me.  Driving cost down is good to a point.
But when the decision crosses the line between a doctor or a drug company
based just on financial considerations it brings ethics into the arguement.
An example of this is Primary Care Physicians in some HMOs are paid a flat
yearly rate for each of their patients no matter how many visits they incur.
It doesn't take  a genius to figure a scenario where the doctor has to
answer the financial  dilema he/she is faced with. For example, a person
goes to the primary care physician every time they sneeze.  The doctor's
bookkeeper points this out to he/she.  The next time the patient comes in
they have a serious problem that can be saved by timely treatment.  Only the
doctor remembers what the bookkeeper says and tells that person to come only
when it is more serious.  He neglects the patients by not even listening to
the problem and lectures the patient about wasting his time and money.  We
all can create an ending to this hypathetical situation for ourselves that
would have dire consequences.

People there are certain aspects of out health care system that  need
fixing.  I am not smart enough to offer the answers.  We do as concerned
patients and care givers need to speak up when we see examples we don't
agree with.  I have a responsibility to my customers(employees of the
company I work for)as HR Director, to defend them with every ounce of energy
I can muster when they are being made pawns by insurance industries and the
managed care system.  The next target for the managed care system is drug
companies.  Keep your eyes and ears open as to the direction and how they
will steer an industry extremely essential to all us.  I have been told that
the focus will be on making it much more attractive to buy generic by
adjusting or elilminating the copay on brand names.  We should all make them
aware of the negative impact that it would have on us.

Regards,
Greg Leeman 37/6