On Sun 08 Feb, JG wrote:

> Does anyone take sinemet throughout the night in order to sleep?  If so,
> does anyone know if this is a bad thing to do?  Bob has been doing this
> for about six weeks and during his off time his disease if much worse.
> Initally, it put him to sleep for about 3.5 hours, now 1.0 hour.  So, he
> is going to try to discontinue this, even tho it puts him to sleep like
> a baby.  Unfortunately, he can't sleep unless he is 'on'.

> Currently Bob is taking:
>
> 10/100 reg. sinemet (two) every 2.5 hours;
>
> one 20 mg. paxil in the evening;
>
> twice a day, one 25/100 CR.
>
> Thanks for all of your help and for listening.
>
> Jackie
> for Bob, 47 - 7yrs.

Hello Jackie, I think you are right to worry about using Sinemet to induce
sleep.  I have noticed that there are a relatively small group of PWPs,
who respond to an excessive dose of Sinemet by becoming sleepy and
withdrawn. ( I have rather envied them because their reaction appears to
be preferable to the more common Dyskinesias.)
  However, it is a long way from occasionally getting it wrong and having
the sleepiness, and deliberately setting out to produce the effect. At
7 years from diagnosis, the dosage rate of 200 mg of levodopa every 2 1/2
hours is (in my experience) very high. I don't want to put this at too
worrying a level, because I am not aware of any clinical evidence that
permanent damage can be caused by consistently over-dosing. In spite of
that, I must admit that I feel instinctively that it is not a good thing.

The other symptoms that you list - pacing the floor, etc. are more like
the normal reaction to an overdose.

I suggest that you talk to your neurologist along the lines of cutting
the Sinemet dose to no more than 50 mg every 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and
making up the difference with one of the Dopamine agonists. I use Permax
myself, but it all depends on Bob's reaction to it. Most people find
at least one of the agonists wich works for them. The transition from
the current dosage to the new one would need careful management.

I hope you find this useful - Does anyone have any data on 'Burnout
through overdosing?

Regards,

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>