Ken,
I find out more tomorrow as we visit our first insurance company on site.
They have already pitched us at our site. They all act like the all mighty
dollar is the most important aspect of their business. And although I work
at a business that puts the bottom line first, it seems to me health care is
a different animal. I know there will be those that say you can't have it
both ways. I say rubbish!
First of all if you don't have a chronic disease like Multiple Sclerosis,
ALS, Muscular Dystrophy or a whole host of others including PD, you can't
empathize with the fears we have with what will be available to us in the
future.(Sorry such a long sentence) If they take-away Pallidotomy because it
isn't cost effective, who determines just what "cost effective" means? I
hope it isn't the bean counters. We all should be quaking in our boots if
they are determining our fate. I just would like to ask one person with
fiduciary responsibility to live inside my body for just one day. Maybe it
should be two days. The day before surgery to the day after surgery. He
might gain some insight as to what kind of courage it took people like Barb
Mallut to conjure up. They might experience just how good it feels when one
of your limbs moves almost like it did years ago. The sheer and utter
ecstacy that fills your life for at least a couple of days before the high
wears off and you still realize you have limitations.
However, I would much rather live my life giving myself the best possible
existence for my younger years.  I know that not everyone will choose the
path I did.  I already know even before I go down to Hanover, NH in three
weeks that I will indeed opt for the second side of my squash to be
pallidotomized.  I don't feel like there is a decision to be made.  If I
don't do it know, who knows what my health insurance will look like in six
months.  This is no melodrama.  I have heard first hand what might happen.
If we switch to an HMO, and we are leaning in that direction, depending on
the network of doctors it has would determine whether I would be able to
have Dr. Roberts finish the job he started.  What kind of ethical breach
would it be if they asked me to switch surgeons at this point.
As I said yesterday, managed care has the right idea in trying to drive
prices down.  It is wrong for them to do it at the expense of the
chronically ill.  And, I'm Mad As Hell, And I Am Not Going To Take It
!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am too tired to think clearly right now.  I have to get my
rest so I can knock some sense into these buffoons.  Plus, I have the honor
of attending dinner and a "video rap" session with that groovy cat, Ivan
Suzman.  I know I'm a name dropper.  Hopefully we will mail out the first
batch of tapes on Wednesday.
Good night all,
Greg Leeman 37/6