We had to put my father in the hospital again over the weekend.  He
developed an infection in his leg from a bedsore that had gone
unnoticed.  He was totally out of it for about a day and a half, so the
doc stopped his Clozaril so it would not sedate him further.

As the infection has improved, we've noticed an interesting change.  The
hallucinations have returned, but at the same time, dad is much more
with it and in touch with reality.  He freely expresses what he is
experiencing and asks about the family, where before he was totally self
absorbed and only concerned about what food he wanted to eat.  The
bedsore had probably been there since he'd left the hospital the first
time, but he had never mentioned it to anyone.

I'm calling the doc today to suggest we revisit the med issue again
before he leaves the hospital.  He was clearly not ready to be
discharged the first time, and I do not want to repeat the same mistake.
Any thoughts on an alternative to Clozaril that will minimize the
hallucinations without zonking him as much?

Mark Klapper