At 18:40 6-2-98 -0600, you wrote:
>Yes, I too am very restless when sitting.  Not exactly pain, more like
>muscle tension, it's hard to describe.
>
>Ken Rowland

Ken,

Nothing in this mail has not been said before on the list. Listmembers who
followed the discussion about two-fase dyskinesia can skipp it.

Maybe my story can be helpfull for you. It is possible too that your
symptoms don't have anything in common with mine. The way you describe your
symptoms made me think I recognized it, but maybe undeservedly. If you want
to know more, feel free to ask.
The tension in my muscles and always feeling an urge to move when sittng,
up to the point that I clamped myself to the armrests to keep myself
seated, all my muscles being tense especially those in my legs. I suffered
from this in the first years of my life as a Parkinson  patient. Of course
I thought it meant I had to much leva-dopa and I experimented with
different dosages. I did not found a dosage which gave me the profit of
movement without these symptoms. One method to influence them was taking
one day only a small dosis and endure the Parkison symptoms and than the
next day a higher than normal dosis. So I might have some good hours.
Another method was:to move as long as I could do so, for example keep
walking. It was an exhausting life. My neuro said it was caused by the leva
dopa, but it manifested itself when the leva-dopa was under a certain level
after having been above it  Other drugs can have the same kind of effects,
for example heroin and to a lesser extent also alcohol. When I saw in
reality or in a movie a heroine addict who needs his next shot, I did
recognize the symptoms. Being in this fase in a public place, people often
asked me: "are you cold?" So I called this symptoms" my cold turkey". Years
passing by the symptoms changed into something that could be best described
as dyskinesia, involuntary movement. This in itself is normal after years
of use of leva-dopa , but it was not the same kind of dyskinesia. I could
know that very well because sometimes I experienced that too.
Quite some time ago I wrote to the list that it was my impression that two
kinds of dyskinesia existed, one combined by dystonia, the other not. There
was, as far as I remember, no reaction.  But months after that I did read
in a mail from David Langridge, to my surprise, the text I have quoted
below. After reading this I followed the instructions about med. schedules.
The results were unbelievable. The daily time of my wild dyskinesia was
reduced from 8 hours to 2 hours. To identify a dyskinesia as a wearing off
one, one has to attend to the time that passes from the intake of sinemet to=
=20
the start of the dyskinesia concerned.

Ida Kamphuis, Holland

Quote from David Langridge:

There is however a fly in the ointment because the effecftiveness of each
dose of sinemet is curtailed because mainly at the end of a dose when it's
effect is beginning to wear off I experience an  unpleasant drug induced
state akin to dyskinesia but not in it's wild form- I can  best describe it
as a sort of mainly internal writhing with incipient neck movements and
body swaying all reasonably controllable although an outside observer
mightguess that I was having a bad go of indigestion!Also more often than
not my leftleg goes rigid and I find it harder to walk than if I had not
taken Sinemet.So here is a drug induced problem which seeems to more or
less fit the term diphasic dyskinesia which I first came upon in the
'Algorithm for Parkinsons Disease' a very worthy paper published in
Neurology and obtainable from our archives.

diphasic dyskinesia" or D-I-D response, a shorthand for
"dyskinesia-improvement-dys=ADkinesia").[124] This pattern is much less
common than peak-dose dyskinesia and is often difficult to diagnose because
the pattern may not he obvious, either to the patient or the clinician, The
end-of-dose period of dyskine=ADsias is typically more prolonged and
troublesome than the initial dyskine=ADtic period of the levodopa cycle.=20
.It seems strange that although I have been following the list for almost
two years I have seen no mention of this problem except in a=20
posting from Ida Kampuis in October and amongst many other interesting
things she sais <<<<
An important difference between the two states of hyperkinesia is that the
end of meds one is combined with high muscle tension end=20
the other much less so. This makes the former the most troubling one.
During the former walking is more impaired or impossible.>>>>.  As
mentioned above I have experienced this end of meds muscle tension.Also I
have searched in the archives and found no mention of diphasic dyskenesia
the only hit being the algorythm paper which I already had read.

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]