hi cyber-dad-don

you wrote:
>about 15 minutes ago i had a long distance
>phone call about my blind friend
>i said about a week ago that he was here for a fish fry.
>no one knew of it outside
>vivian & i said we could talk and not have pity for each other.
>i do wish i had gone to some cancer support groups
>i don't know what to say, as he is not expected to live
>i'll just put it on a list to get it off my mind
>and maybe i'll think of what to say when he passes on.
>i am so happy that i've only got pd.
>i wonder what is going through his mind now... the pain...
>so i will close
>i've got to think
>I.Y.Q.
>don & vivian

when i was diagnosed with pd
i felt like i had been given a 'wake-up call'

in my ignorance about pd
i jumped to some incorrect conclusions
about what my 'suddenly, apparently limited, future' held
[as if i, or anyone else, could ever foretell the future!]

i had been 'frittering' my life away
without examining it or my priorities very closely

that is one of the reasons i consider the diagnosis of pd a gift
i have been learning not to take anything for granted
and am still learning that lesson

we are all humans;
willingly or reluctantly,
we all face the inevitable end of our lives
as we know them here

none of us are 'expected to live' forever

the only difference between you and me and your friend
is that he has been given an anticipated departure time
so it may seem that by comparison
we have 'more' than he does

but we don't

the past is gone
the future never arrives
all i truly 'have' is today and now

and how i spend this gift is up to me
and no one else

i cannot presume to suggest to you what to say to your friend,
but if i were in your shoes, i probably would want to share
as much [pain or joy] as possible while it is still possible
i wouldn't be surprised if the friend felt the same way

with love from your cyber-

sis

janet paterson
50-9 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]