Don, all we can do is add your friend to our prayers for recovery. I have
known a few people who beat cancer for many years, and some were expected to
not be around for months. Just keep being his friend, as is there was no
cancer, and hope for the best. I lost a good friend to cancer when he was 32,
and he got it 6 years before that. It changed my outlook on life.  Just
remember we'll all be in a better place some day, except a few rascals who
will be in a very HOT place! (And I do NOT mean Miami Beach! )